CHARGE AIR COOLER BASIC CONNECTION TYPES
Identification is important as often there is a hose bead model of a charge air cooler that is similar to a flange model.
* Remember the difference is how they are clamped.
Hose Bead Connection
Picture Examples Below Show Typical Hose Bead Connections:
- Most common connection type for chare air coolers
- Silicone rubber hose slides over connection, then clamped
- Typically has smooth round bead in from the connection end
Picture Examples Below Show Typical Flanged Connections:
- Less common than the hose bead type
- Flanged connections are used with a mating flange air intake hose or tube
- Flange to Flange connections connect with a v-type clamp that pulls the two metal flanges together
- Flanged connection types are not interchangeable with hose bead models